Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest

Are you looking to become a fully qualified teacher but confused about which route to take?

We’ll make it simple for you

There are two paths in teaching that you can take to become a fully qualified teacher.
The first is the traditional university path which leads to the QTS and is accepted in primary, secondary, and special education needs schools throughout England but in order to get QTS you have to find a PGCE course receive an offer from the University and possibly pay your tuition fees as well even after you obtain your PGCE you still can’t apply for the QTS instead you have to find the school willing to work with NQT and pass one-year internship before claiming your QTS teaching licence the whole process could take over two years.
The second route is a contemporary NON-UNIVERSITY path which leads to the QTLS and is accepted in primary, secondary, further education and special education needs schools throughout in England you can even bump up your income if you decide to become a subject specialist you get the same recognition salaries if you have gone to university and received the QTS but it could take you half the time, is very possible to gain QTLS status in 15th months. The QTLS only requires one year of part-time time studies for the diploma of Education and Training, 100 hours of teaching practice, and 8 observed lessons. Once you have completed your diploma in Education and Training you can apply to the Society for the Education and Training and receive your QTLS teaching licence.

What is QTS and how to apply for your QTS?

QTS a licensed issued by the State. It is the badge of professional training for the education sector. There are many ways of gaining QTS but the most recognised way is the university PGCE route.

The University Route

Candidates will select the university to enter the PGCE programme. PGCE means a Postgraduate Certificate in Education. If the applicant is accepted the following occurs:

  1. They spend one year in university in full-time study or two years in part-time study.
  2. If they are successful, they will now hold a PGCE and be classified as an NQT or Newly Qualified Teacher.
  3. Which means you don’t hold the QTS means Qualified Teacher Status yet.

To gain your QTS you must undergo the following:

  1. Find a job as NQT.
  2. You will need to teach as NQT for a year on an unqualified salary rate.
  3. You must pass all three terms of this internship.
  4. Then apply for their full teaching license


Challenges with gaining the QTS

Despite spending a year or two at university doing your PGCE, it is not guaranteed that you will gain your QTS.

  • Upon completing the PGCE, the graduate MUST find a school willing to hire them as an NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher).
  • The graduate must complete their three terms internship. If graduates fail any term will have to repeat the whole term again.
  • Many graduates are then left holding their NQT but not the QTS for many years without using it.

Gaining QTLS

QTLS – Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills status

When you achieve QTLS, you’ll be added to the professional register where future employers can check your status. Achieving QTLS will also allow you to teach in schools on the same terms as QTS. The new law now states that holders of the QTLS can now teach in Primary & Secondary Schools or Sixth Form Colleges and have the same benefits as QTS holders.

  • They will enjoy the same Pay Scale, Pension, Benefits, and Promotions while also being recognized as a fully qualified Teacher.

There is no internship that is like the PGCE.


Diploma in Education and Training (leading to QTLS)

The candidate first needs to register for the teacher training course.

  • One year of Full-time or Two years of Part-time study
  • Portfolio-based
  • The candidate receives a Diploma at the end of the training
  • 100 hours of teaching and eight observations of your teaching practice.
  • Hold Level 2 maths and English qualifications, Level 3 if you teach discrete maths or English
  • The candidate then applies for the license from the Society of Education and Training (SET).


Contact us now to get a complete overview and detailed consultation.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay up to date with the latest courses available every month


Share this post with your friends

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Leave a Reply